Carnivorous Plants/Growing CPs in EarthBox

I have a vacant EarthBox which I thought of turning into a bog garden. I have some experience with EarthBoxes and they actually keep the soil moist enough, I think, for Sarracenia and Venus' Flytraps. I have been reading lots of posts on other sites and found plenty of other people wondering the same thing. I'm going to try in any case and I'm going to add some extra wicks in the form of pieces of cloth rope. This may be overkill, but better safe than sorry. And it won't ruin the EarthBox in any case. Any thoughts?

I'm not too familiar with these boxes, but in theory it should work with Sarracenia and flytraps.  These plants can tolerate some slight drying to the soil, though not too much.  We've grown Sarracneia and flytraps in very large pots sitting in about an inch of water.  The soil is sometimes dry on top.  Of course, if you suspect there's too much evaporation, you can always top water.  This may be necessary on hot summer days.

I suspect the box will not work for sundews since they prefer wet soil.  In any case, give it a try and let us know how it worked for you.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!