Carnivorous Plants/Mosquito control

Question
Hi Jacob and Jeff

With about 30 trays of plants and the potential for a lot more as I divide and repot, I really feel the need to control the mosquito population. I seem to remember you saying that mosquito dunks were safe for CP. Is that correct? The same company that makes Mosquito Dunks makes a product called Mosquito Bits. It appears to be the same product but in granular form. The bits label lists these ingredients

Active Ingredient: Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis, solids, spores and insecticidal toxins, 2.85%
Other Ingredients, 97.14%

I am not concerned about the bacteria .. but the insecticidal toxin. Having lost a lot of plants to a bad batch of insecticide a few years ago I am a little gun shy.

Do you think it would be safe to use the bit and or the dunks to help control the mosquito problem that is sure to occur with so much standing water ?

Thanks
Nicole
90 Mile north of NYC

While the Dunks list these

Ingredients
Active Ingredient: Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis, solids, spores and insecticidal toxins, 10.31%
Inert Ingredients, 89.69%

Answer
That's very safe for plants, mammals, birds, and amphibians.  The granular form is useful to kill mosquito larvae quickly, within 24 hours.  The dunks are useful for long-term control, up to a month.  We use both at our nursery every summer.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest