Carnivorous Plants/Mosquito control

Hi Jacob and Jeff

With about 30 trays of plants and the potential for a lot more as I divide and repot, I really feel the need to control the mosquito population. I seem to remember you saying that mosquito dunks were safe for CP. Is that correct? The same company that makes Mosquito Dunks makes a product called Mosquito Bits. It appears to be the same product but in granular form. The bits label lists these ingredients

Active Ingredient: Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis, solids, spores and insecticidal toxins, 2.85%
Other Ingredients, 97.14%

I am not concerned about the bacteria .. but the insecticidal toxin. Having lost a lot of plants to a bad batch of insecticide a few years ago I am a little gun shy.

Do you think it would be safe to use the bit and or the dunks to help control the mosquito problem that is sure to occur with so much standing water ?

90 Mile north of NYC

While the Dunks list these

Active Ingredient: Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies israelensis, solids, spores and insecticidal toxins, 10.31%
Inert Ingredients, 89.69%

That's very safe for plants, mammals, birds, and amphibians.  The granular form is useful to kill mosquito larvae quickly, within 24 hours.  The dunks are useful for long-term control, up to a month.  We use both at our nursery every summer.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!