Carnivorous Plants/I need some advice

I have VFT seeds germinating right now and expect 2 types of sundew seeds.
I might have to leave for 2 weeks and was wondering can VFT seedlings go 2 weeks without water?
I sew them Friday and was told they might germinate in 2 weeks but give them 4 weeks.
I am going to wait until I get back to sow the Drosera seeds
there is no one I can trust to water them for me because no one understands them n might throw tap water in the pot ruining my hard work!
or is a better solution to take them with me and buy some bottles of RO water??

Hello Dennis,

Bog plants cetainly cannot go for more than a week without needing to be watered again. I usually have to top the trays under mine up every three days. The seeds will need constant water to germinate properly.

It can take your seeds between 2-6 weeks for the most part, with a few germinating a few days early, and a few waiting up to 2 or more months to germinate.

Once they germinate, they will need strong light and a stable environment as well as constant water. The best case scenario would be to find and train someone that is mature and consciencious enough to take care of your seedlings. Barring that, you may have to pack them up and take them with you if you can provide them the conditions they need on the trip.  

Carnivorous Plants

Christopher Littrell

I am capable of answering questions about the most common carnivorous plants found in cultivation. I have no personal experience with Byblis, Drosophyllum, Aldrovanda, and Heliamphora. I have not cultivated gemmae forming pygmy sundews nor tuberous sundews. For information regarding those aforementioned species, I would suggest contacting other experts. I can answer questions regarding most species of Nepenthes, tropical and temperate Drosera, Mexican Pinguicula, Sarracenias, and Dionaea. I have some limited experience with growing Utricularia, Cephalotus, and Darlingtonia.

I have grown carnivorous plants off and on for about 27 years. I have made the same mistakes and suffered the same mishaps that many growers make as they attempt to separate the myths from the realities of growing these plants. Currently, I am successfully growing a variety of tropical sundews, a Nepenthes, several Venus Flytraps of varying ages, and Sarracenias. I have been successful in stratifying Sarracenia seeds and providing artificial dormancy requirements for my temperate plants when needed.

I hold a Master's degree in Educational Psychology. Over my lifetime, I have constantly read books involving the growing conditions of carnivorous plants. I hope to incorporate the educational aspects involved in psychology with teaching other people how to cultivate carnivorous plants.