Carnivorous Plants/Is this a Nepenthes problem ?

Base and leaves
Base and leaves  

Hi Jacob and Jeff

I have noticed some small white grains(?) at the base of some of my nepenthes as well as what appear to be white grains on the leaves as well. There are many grains on the leaves .. up and down the entire leaf. A picture is worth a thousand words so I have attached one. Sorry about the quality .. but it was the best I could do and get the base and leaves included

I lost all my neps about a year and a half ago to an insect problem (and other factors) and if this is something I need to deal with I would like to know earlier rather than later.

This is being grown in a terrarium (Yes I know .. I don't need one) under lights, in a mixture of New Zealand sphagnum and orchid mix.

At first I thought they might be scales, but the appearance isn't at all consistent with those critters.  Based on your photo, my best educated guess is that it's residue from long-fiber sphagnum moss.  Did you recently repot them or work with sphagnum moss recently.  The wet debris will sometimes land on leaves.  When it dries, it would look like scales.  I've seen this happen to my own plants.  I'd freak out, but when I inspect closer, I realized they were just dried debris.  

Take a wet cloth and gently rub them off.  If they come off readily, they're just debris. If they don't come off readily and feel as if they are attached to the leaf, write back.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!