Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Rajah x Mira

I have a nepenthes rajah x mira and need help with it's environment. Does it require a ultra highland environment? or can it adapt to live in a intermediate environment? If it does require a ultra highland environment, what is the best way to provide it one with a greenhouse?

You likely have a seed-grown plant bred by Borneo Exotics.  This hybrid should be grown like a highland plant.  It needs a drop in nighttime temperature, 55-65F.  It also prefers day temperatures below 80.  So far, growers who have this hybrid have reported that it doesn't adapt well to intermediate conditions.  That's the most I can say about this hybrid knowing it's pedigree and such.  

In terms of how to achieve these temperatures, that depends on your locale.  You didn't mention anything about your region, so I can't offer any advice.  At our nursery, we naturally have a drop in nighttime temperature in summer (55), so that's not at all an issue.  Some growers have to use swamp coolers or other cooling methods.  Again, this all depends on your location.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!