Carnivorous Plants/Nepenthes Truncata

Question
Pitcher At Plant Arrival
Pitcher At Plant Arriv  

Plant diameter
Plant diameter  
Hi There

I have a Nepenthes Truncata, it is a very easiest pitchering plant(Nepenthes) for me right now, but when I got it, the tag that came with it telled that it was a lowland, I'm not really into any lowland nepenthes right now because they're not as easy as intermediate/ highland nepenthes.(which is easier for me though)
But since Nepenthes truncata is found in lowland, intermediate and highland elevations(0-1500 meters) is it okay to adjust the plant to grow as a highland or intermediate? If so, will the plant change its color from a pale green leaf lowland to a reddish leaf intermediate/highland?

Answer
Nepenthes truncata can is one of the easiest Nepenthes to grow because it will tolerate a wide range of growing conditions.  The terms lowland and highland are only guidelines to help growers.  They are not absolute indicators of what a plant requirements or tolerances.  Highland truncata will grow well in lowland conditions, and lowland truncata will grow well in highland conditions.  This is the beauty of this species.  It's very adaptable.  The only caveat is that it grows very slowly.  It's one of the slowest growing Nepenthes.

Leaf and pitcher color is determined by genes.  A green truncata may turn red if and only if it had the genes to do so AND lighting requirements are met.  As of date, I haven't seen a green truncata (lowland) turn red when grown in highland conditions.

So if intermediate and highland conditions are easier for you to keep, you can still be successful in growing truncata.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest