Carnivorous Plants/Picture of slime on D nitidula x pulchella

Question
Slime picture
Slime picture  
Here is a picture of the slime on the growing media of my D nitidula x pulchella.

I was wondering if there is any way to remove the slime other than scraping off the soil surface (which is unlikely to get all of it).

Thanks in advance.
Bill

Answer
I'm glad you uploaded the photo because that's a different concept than what I had envisioned.  That's slime algae.  It's green.  

As mentioned before, scrape off the top soil.  That's the only way to remove it.  No chemicals or solutions will do that for you.  Just scrape off as much as you can and as close to the plant as possible.  Don't worry if you don't get all of it.  As long as you remove the vast majority of it, you'll have a better chance in controlling it.

After you replace the top soil, spray the top soil with a sulfur fungicide.  You can find it at most garden centers.  It's completely safe to use on your plants.  Be generous when spraying the top soil.  This will prevent or slow down any future development.

Finally, grow your plant in natural sunlight as much as possible.  This sort of slime algae occurs more frequently under artificial lights.  UV light as found in sunlight tends to prevent this from happening.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest