Carnivorous Plants/Picture of slime on D nitidula x pulchella

Slime picture
Slime picture  
Here is a picture of the slime on the growing media of my D nitidula x pulchella.

I was wondering if there is any way to remove the slime other than scraping off the soil surface (which is unlikely to get all of it).

Thanks in advance.

I'm glad you uploaded the photo because that's a different concept than what I had envisioned.  That's slime algae.  It's green.  

As mentioned before, scrape off the top soil.  That's the only way to remove it.  No chemicals or solutions will do that for you.  Just scrape off as much as you can and as close to the plant as possible.  Don't worry if you don't get all of it.  As long as you remove the vast majority of it, you'll have a better chance in controlling it.

After you replace the top soil, spray the top soil with a sulfur fungicide.  You can find it at most garden centers.  It's completely safe to use on your plants.  Be generous when spraying the top soil.  This will prevent or slow down any future development.

Finally, grow your plant in natural sunlight as much as possible.  This sort of slime algae occurs more frequently under artificial lights.  UV light as found in sunlight tends to prevent this from happening.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!