Carnivorous Plants/Purpurea ssp. Purpurea x Minor Hood

Question
Hooded Purpurea
Hooded Purpurea  
Usually, Sarracenia Purpurea have hoods that allow water to fall into the traps when it rains, however, the hoods for my Purpurea ssp. Purpurea x Minor cover the traps and don't let any water fall in, as a result, I've seen flies and ants crawling in and out of it and I'm worried it's not getting enough food, should I be adding water to it to help it out?

Answer
This hybrid will occur naturally in the wild.  In general, it's not at all necessary to add water to the pitchers.  If you do so, the pitchers will flop over.  

Insects are not a source of energy for the plant.  They are only a form of fertilizer.  Your plant will continue to grow even if it didn't catch any bugs as long as it has sunlight and water.  Just let your plant do its thing.  In time it'll capture its own bugs. Otherwise, you can kill the bugs first and drop them into the pitchers, but this is usually unnecessary.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest