Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia alata

QUESTION: My sarracenia alata has a curved tip at the end were the mouth is sopose to be it still hasn't opened but I wanted to know if this meant any thing

ANSWER: This is normal behavior for early season growth.  Many times the first few pitchers of the season will be misshapen because of fluctuating growing conditions.  When the weather is consistently warmer, they will produce nice looking pitchers.  Right now, you have nothing to worry about.  This also happens to us.  With Sarracenia alata, they produce their best pitchers in late summer and early fall.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: I also wanted to ask about the wind I'm afraid that the wind will damage my plants and usually when it get too windy I bring them inside I know that plants don't really enjoy being moved and I wanted to ask if I was better off just leaving them out side rather than making them go through the stress of being moved inside.

What do you mean by too windy?  We grow our Sarracenia outdoors, and they experience every thing that nature throws at them.  Wind is a natural phenomena in nature, and it poses no problems at all unless it's knocking over your pots.  If that's the case, simply secure your pots by placing them in groups or use large pots.

Sheltering your plants every tine the wind kicks up prevents the plant from developing stronger stems to counteract the wind.  In order to acclimate to the wind, they need to experience the wind.  You're better off leaving the plants outside.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!