Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia alata

Question
Plant
Plant  
QUESTION: My sarracenia alata has a curved tip at the end were the mouth is sopose to be it still hasn't opened but I wanted to know if this meant any thing

ANSWER: This is normal behavior for early season growth.  Many times the first few pitchers of the season will be misshapen because of fluctuating growing conditions.  When the weather is consistently warmer, they will produce nice looking pitchers.  Right now, you have nothing to worry about.  This also happens to us.  With Sarracenia alata, they produce their best pitchers in late summer and early fall.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: I also wanted to ask about the wind I'm afraid that the wind will damage my plants and usually when it get too windy I bring them inside I know that plants don't really enjoy being moved and I wanted to ask if I was better off just leaving them out side rather than making them go through the stress of being moved inside.

Answer
What do you mean by too windy?  We grow our Sarracenia outdoors, and they experience every thing that nature throws at them.  Wind is a natural phenomena in nature, and it poses no problems at all unless it's knocking over your pots.  If that's the case, simply secure your pots by placing them in groups or use large pots.

Sheltering your plants every tine the wind kicks up prevents the plant from developing stronger stems to counteract the wind.  In order to acclimate to the wind, they need to experience the wind.  You're better off leaving the plants outside.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest