Carnivorous Plants/sarracenia soil

Is there something I can substitute for perlite?  If so what are the proportions to peat?  I am growing sarracenia!
Thank you

Hi Clarkie,

The function of perlite in Sarracenia mix is to provide added texture and air spaces to help break up the peat moss.  Other substances can do the same thing.  Since you're from North Carolina, a good silica sand would be the next best thing.  This is the same white sand found all over the coastal plain.  You might be able to find it in some garden centers, or if can find some nice clean sand, that would work too.  Just don't use builder's sand.

Use the sand just like you would perlite in a 1:1 ratio.  Incidentally, this is very similar to what Sarracenia, Venus Flytraps and Sundews naturally grow in down on the coastal bogs and pocosins.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!