Carnivorous Plants/Slime on Drosera

I have all my tropical sundews growing indoors under a fluorescent grow light.

I went to check the water in the tray and discovered that my D. nitidula x pulchella has a clear slime completely covering the soil in the pot. It does not appear to be on the plant itself.

Is this some sort of slime mold? If so, how do I eliminate it?

It's difficult to ascertain what the slime is without seeing it.  It could be slime mold, but usually it's colored rather than clear.  Slime algae is a common problem when growing plants under fluorescent lights, but it's green.

First make sure that you don't have slugs hiding among your plants.  They will leave a trail of clear slime over the soil.  

My only recommendation is to carefully excavate the top soil around your sundew.  This will remove the slime.  After that, replace the soil with fresh soil.  Because pygmy sundews have very fine roots, I don't recommend repotting the entire plant in fresh soil unless you are well experienced and meticulous enough to avoid damaging the roots.  Otherwise, replacing the top soil with fresh soil will do the job.

If the slime returns, write back and upload a photo.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!