Carnivorous Plants/Slime on Drosera

Question
I have all my tropical sundews growing indoors under a fluorescent grow light.

I went to check the water in the tray and discovered that my D. nitidula x pulchella has a clear slime completely covering the soil in the pot. It does not appear to be on the plant itself.

Is this some sort of slime mold? If so, how do I eliminate it?

Thanks
Bill

Answer
It's difficult to ascertain what the slime is without seeing it.  It could be slime mold, but usually it's colored rather than clear.  Slime algae is a common problem when growing plants under fluorescent lights, but it's green.

First make sure that you don't have slugs hiding among your plants.  They will leave a trail of clear slime over the soil.  

My only recommendation is to carefully excavate the top soil around your sundew.  This will remove the slime.  After that, replace the soil with fresh soil.  Because pygmy sundews have very fine roots, I don't recommend repotting the entire plant in fresh soil unless you are well experienced and meticulous enough to avoid damaging the roots.  Otherwise, replacing the top soil with fresh soil will do the job.

If the slime returns, write back and upload a photo.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest