Carnivorous Plants/slugs

I have a small bog garden in my yard that holds about 30 Sarracenias in 8"pots . I am having a problem with slugs , can I sprinkle a small amount of snail poison on the pots to protect the plants without causing any damage to the plants themselves

First, examine your plants to manually eradicate the slugs.  They often hide in dark cool spots, so look on the shady side of pots and around the crowns of your plants.

If you're using granular snail bait, sprinkle the bait around the parameter of your water trays.  Avoid putting the bait in the pots or water because of the bait's high mineral content.  If you have pets, use one that is safe for dogs and cats.  Sluggo is a good choice.

If you're using Deadline, you can apply the bait on the outside of your water tray.  You can also put a bunch on a strip of wood and place it in your pots.  This allows you to remove the Deadline later.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!