Carnivorous Plants/spring hard freeze

Hey guys,

I live in the Philadelphia area where we have been having a tough winter this year. About three weeks ago it finally warmed up enough to bring my temperate CPs (sarracenia, dionaea, and drosera) out of the fridge where they have been all winter, repot them, and put them outside in trays. A couple days ago they finally started showing signs of coming out of dormancy (putting up flower stalks, growing a few new leaves). But last night we had a hard freeze where temperatures went as low as 28 degrees for 7-8 hours overnight. I thought that the plants should be fine and expected to only find some minor icing when I went to check on them this morning, but instead I found that all my containers and water trays had frozen completely solid. Because the plants were just starting to come out of dormancy (and the temps here were almost in the 80s just a few days ago), I'm worried they might not tolerate this freeze very well. Do you think they will make it?

In most instances, the plants will be fine.  Only time will tell.  The new spring growth might die off, but the plants themselves should survive the freeze if they didn't experience any freeze drying.  For now, bring your plants back inside or cover them with tarp or black plastic to minimize freeze drying.  When the weather goes above freezing, you can bring your plants back out again.  As the weather warms up, look for new growth.  Cut off the growth that was nipped by frost.

As a rule, always pay attention to the weather. If there is a late season frost in the forecast, that's your cue to properly protect your plants.  Watch our monthly video podcast for more reminders about seasonal changes.  You can also subscribe to our monthly newsletter for the text version.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!