Carnivorous Plants/transitioning plants to outside

I didn't get my flytrap or pitcher plant outside in time last fall so they over wintered on a window sill.  The flytrap started trying to flower a couple of months ago so I moved it under the light my sundews and butterwort are under.  The pitcher plant is still on the window sill and not showing signs of new growth yet.  I know I should wait until the threat of frost is past (very soon) but I don't know what is the best way to transition the plants to the outside.  I plan to make a bog garden to keep them in.  I would appreciate any advice you can give for a smooth transition from inside to outside.

Early in the growing season, you may not need to worry about transitioning your plant outdoors.  The basic rule of thumb is to move your plants outside after Mother's Day.  That rule seems to work well for most of the country, including your region.  There might be some leaf burn initially, but your plants will produce a new set of leaves.  You can clip off any damaged leaves after that.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!