Carnivorous Plants/Venus Flytrap with Mutant Flower Stalk

Severed Mutant VFT Flower Stalk
Severed Mutant VFT Flo  

VFT Showing Severed Flower Stalk
VFT Showing Severed Fl  
One of my Venus flytraps put out an exceptionally thick flower stalk.  It was particularly noteworthy because the plant itself is not very large.  The flower stalk itself was not only thick, but also unusual in that it had several side branches.  Unfortunately, I noticed today that something severed the stalk--perhaps a bird.  Upon closer inspection, the strangeness of the stalk further increased when I saw that there appear to be a couple of actual new plants budding from nodes in the stalk--complete with leaves and traps forming at the ends.  I have never seen anything like this.  Is this normal?  (Pictures attached.)

The mutation occurred because of misfiring of plant hormones.  This seems to occur mostly in Dente flytraps and when they're brought out of dormancy earlier than usual.  Based on your photos, you're likely in a much warmer region than our nursery in Oregon, so this would have been expected.

It's actually good that the bird snipped off the stalk because it tends to cause the mother plant to wither.  The mutated flower stalk diverts all available energy to growing a plantlet on the stalk, which weakens the mother plant below.  

It's unlikely you see this again next season since your plant would be well acclimated to your area by then.  But if you happen to see it again, snip it off before it gets too large.  Or have one of the birds do it for you.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!