Carnivorous Plants/Sundews

QUESTION: Dear Sarracenia Northwest,
I live in Ellensburg, WA.  Is there any way to grow Pinguicala grandiflora here?  I've heard that it's too hot.  Is there a way to duplicate their natural surroundings?

ANSWER: Growing temperate butterworts in desert climates can be tricky.  If the temperature is constantly warm, the plant will go dormant early, which will shorten its growing season.  Many times, the plant won't survive winter dormancy because it didn't produce enough starches to make it through dormancy.  So if you don't mind that your plant will be an annual and not a perennial, you can grow it.  But if you're looking for a perennial, it's best to avoid this plant.

We encourage growers to select plants that are best suited to their growing conditions, especially if they are new to carnivorous plants.  Use the feature on our site for first-time growers.  Answer a few short questions, and you'll get a list of plants best suited for your environment.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: Dear Sarracenia Northwest,
Do sundew hybrids and Poi dog Nepenthes bloom and produce seed?

Yes and no.  With sundew hybrids it depends on the species involved.  Some hybrids are sterile, while others will produce seeds.  It has to do with chromosome count, which is beyond the scope of this format.

With Poi Dog Nepenthes, they can produce seeds.  However, you will need a male plant and a female plant.  Only females produce seeds provided that they were pollinated with a male plant.

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!