Carnivorous Plants/cephalotus follicularis

my ceph
my ceph  
Hi, Please help, what happened to my cephalotus? sudden death? my first cephalotus growing in a 6" pot for more than a year in 1-1-1 peat- silica sand-  perlite mix and under fluorescent light, it had about 3 pitchers the size 1/2" and 5 pitchers forming, I watered with rain water just to keep moist, then one after the other pitcher turned brown and died off, the next day it was all dead. I moved the pot to a sunny position on the window sill without watering , now after 3 months a tiny green spot is growing out of the dryed up centre, is it regrowing now? did I water too much? but it dryed up, please explain what happened to it and how to prevent it from happening again if it grows now, thank you, Helmuth

The photo is blurry, so I can't assess your plant except by your description.  (From the photo, the pitchers don't look dried or brown.)

Since you had the plant for a year, my best educated guess is that your plant is going through a natural seasonal change.  As we change seasons, such as spring to summer or fall to winter, older pitchers will naturally die off.  If your pitchers are a year old, then they've reached the end of their life cycle.  This is completely normal and unrelated to your watering.

However, you mentioned that you moved your plant to a sunny windowsill without watering.  Do you mean that you did not at all water your plant for three months?  This is too long for the plant to go without water!  While it's OK to let the soil to dry slightly between watering, never allow the soil to go completely dry for any significant amount of time.  

Based solely on the information you provided, I can only say that your plant is undergoing a seasonal change.  Continue watering your plant.  Keep the soil moist and allow it to dry slightly between watering, but never allow it to go completely dry.  Follow our guidelines posted on our main website.  This will help you stay on the right track.  Also clip of any dried pitchers to allow more light getting to the new growth.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!