Carnivorous Plants/Dead sundews

Dead sundews
Dead sundews  
Hello! My friend told me that temperate drosera are hard to grow because they rot and die very easily. However, I still wanted to give them try because people like you seem to have amazing results growing these plants. I purchased some drosera intermedia (the temperate version) last summer and they grew beautifully, producing lots of dewy leaves. Then when it came time for winter, I over wintered them in my cool basement where they still received some indirect light. They started to form the hibernacula at the end of fall and then I put them in my basement where they remained in the hibernacula all of winter. Then a month ago, the weather started warming up and I took them out of the basement and put them outside where they could receive full sun and the average low was about 40-45. They started looking green again and coming out of the hibernacula. However, after they grew a little bit, evrything just stopped. No complete leave we're ever produced, the tiny "stub" leaves they had just slowly turned browned and they looked dead. Could you help me out as the why this happened? Thank you

The pots were always in two inches of standing water throughout the winter and spring. I heavily sprayed then with a safe sulfur based fungicide multiple times through the winter and early spring so I'm pretty sure mold shouldn't be the case. Then after the leaves turned brown this white substance started to grow on them and I'm not sure what it is.

Temperate sundews are easy to overwinter as long as you follow basic protocols.  Growers who overwinter them outdoors have an easier time than growers who overwinter them indoors.  This is probably where the misconception occurs about temperate sundews being hard to grow.  We have excellent results because we overwinter our temperate plants outdoors.  This past winter, they experienced temperatures as low as 8F, twice.  All pots froze solid, and our trays were solid bricks of ice.  This spring, they emerged beautifully.

The challenge of growing temperate sundews indoors or in a basement is keeping the temperature cool (near freezing) and preventing fungus.  I suspect that your basement wasn't cool enough.  Fungal spores may have also killed your plant.  Sulfur prevents fungal spores from growing, but it doesn't kill them.  It's simply a preventative measure.  I also suspect that as the plant grew, fungal spores around the pot started growing on the emerging new growth since it didn't have any sulfur on it.  In your case, repotting the plant into fresh soil when you brought it out of dormancy would have likely prevented the plant from dying.

(For winter care, we recommend using sulfur because it's longer lasting.  Products that kill spores are very short acting and needs to be applied repeatedly.  This can be problematic if plants are under mulch.)

I recommend reading our care guide about winter care for temperate sundews.  We also have a section on winter care on our Volume 1 DVD.  (It's to involved to discuss winter care in this format, so you'll need to do a bit of homework on your part.)

Give temperate sundews another try, but read about winter care.  We have many customers who follow our advice and have temperate sundews living for years.  They really are easy to grow!

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!