Carnivorous Plants/Drosera intermedia I guess...?

Happy time
Happy time  

I believe this plant is a Drosera Intermedia since thats what they told me when I bought it. As you can see in the first picture, she was a very happy and healthy plant. One time I feed her fish food following Sundew Man's instructions and everything seemed ok. Then I noticed that she stopped growing vigorously and also, I noticed that she had baby Droseras growing from within her. Now she looks weird and I don't know of this is normal or what. Should I remove the babies? Cause it would be very hard by the way they are growing. I just want to see her happy again. HELP.  

She received 14 hours of indoors light 6500k the burpee light that you recommended and water..normal.

Thanks Jacob

That plant is actually a hybrid, Drosera intermedia x brevifolia. What's interesting is that if you compare both photos, you'll see that in the first photo your plant has nice red colors in the tentacles.  In the second photo, the tentacles are almost white.  This means your plant isn't getting as much light as when you first got it.  You mentioned using the Burpee light, but you didn't mention how far away the plant is from the light source.  Because of the lack of redness, it's likely the light is too far away.

This plant also self-propagates by producing offshoots.  This is normal, and the plant often forms a clump.  You can always separate them if you prefer, but it also won't harm the plant by allowing it to grow as it is.  It's a matter of preference.

So move the plant closer to the light source and clip off the yellow leaves.  This will improve your plant's appearance.  If you want to separate the plant, you can do so, but keep in mind that the plant will need time (up to a month) to recover from the root disturbance.  You may see additional browning because of the disturbance.  In time, though, the plant will produce nice leaves again.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!