Carnivorous Plants/heliamphora

Hi I got a heliamphora tatei I am growing it in a small green house that gets 4hours max I mist it six times before dark are these OK conditions for it to thrive in

You can read our general guidelines for growing Heliamphora on our main website:

I can't say specifically whether your conditions are right for this plant or not since I'm not there to examine all aspects of your greenhouse.  (You mentioned "4 hours max."  I'm not sure what that means.  I also don't know your lighting situation and your temperature ranges.)

Since you already have the plant, the most I can say is to follow our guidelines as closely as possible.  Plants are living organisms.  As a grower, you will need to pay attention to how your plant is growing and adjust the conditions to ensure you have the type of growth you want.  The guidelines are there to help you start on the right track.  It's really up to you to make necessary adjustments to your growing conditions to ensure optimal growth.

Heliamphora is also a very slow growing plant, even in the best of growing conditions.  If the plant is immature, it will remain small for several years before it produces adult pitchers.  You'll need lots of patience when growing this plant.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!