Carnivorous Plants/live sphagnum moss

Question
Hi guys,
I am a CP grower from Romania and I am pleased to say that, based on your instructions, I am quite succesful.
I am growing sarracenia sp. at the moment and they are doing great. They are planted in 100% live sphagnum moss and they love it. Bought them as usual, from a nursery where they were underwatered, treated as tropical plants and planted in regular soil mixture. After repotting them and washing their roots they started doing really well.
I have a question to ask as I didn't get this info or I missed it.
Is it a problem if the live sphagnum grows over the center of the plant and buries the rhisome? If it is, what should i do? Should I trim the moss?
If it is not a problem, will it prevent mould during winter or should I still use the usual antifungal chemicals?
Thanks a lot!

Answer
I'm happy to hear about your success!  Yes, growing carnivorous plants is easy once you have the right information.

You can use live sphagnum moss for Sarracenia.  We've found that plants grow quicker and larger in live sphagnum.  The only problem is finding enough of it for all of our plants.

You're right that the moss will bury the growing points of the plant.  You'll need to periodically trim the moss to keep the growing points exposed.  If the points are smothered, the rhizome will attempt to grow upwards, which makes it difficult to divide the plant later.  Make sure to use the trimmings for other plants.

While your risk for fungus is greatly reduced with sphagnum moss, you should still use preventative measures in winter.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest