Carnivorous Plants/New butterwort is not looking so good.

P Lutea Butterwort
P Lutea Butterwort  
Hello! One week ago I acquired this P. Lutea butterwort from botanical garden in South Florida. It was shipped to me bare rooted in a tied plastic bag. Upon receiving it, it looked a little curled at the edges, and a little dirty. I potted it the next day in a 1/1/1 mix of sphagnum peat, perlite, and long fiber sphagnum, well moistened. I have been keeping in a windowsill that receives bright sun in the A.M. (with the window open about 12 inches much to air conditioning's discontent!# then moving it to a windowsill in my kitchen in the afternoons to get a bit more indirect light #sometimes with that window open, depending if my husband is home yet..wasting the A.C.!# The average temperature in our home is 84f during the day, and 80f at night. I have been top watering the plant, leaving about a quarter inch in the tray below, until it is almost depleted. The poor little guy seems to be looking more and more wilted every day! Please help me diagnose the problem before it is too late. #P.s. my location is central Florida, Pasco county)

Based on your photo and description, the plant is suffering from transplant shock.  This sometimes occurs when plants are shipped bare root.  With transplant shock, typically the older leaves will die off.  If the shock was significant, some of the newer growth might also be affected.  Your plant needs lots of TLC at this time.  

I strongly recommend that you park your plant in one windowsill and leave it alone.  Plants are stationary organisms and acclimate to one growing environment.  Every time you move your plant, you force it to acclimate to a new environment.  It may seem the same to you, but micro changes in the environment can affect your plant.  In essence, by moving it around, you increase the time it takes for the plant to acclimate to your home.

Your plant will likely recover from the bare root shipping, but it will take time.  The older leaves will die off, and some of the newer ones as well.  When your plant produces new leaves, that's when you'll know that it'll pull through.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!