Carnivorous Plants/Osmacote

I was just wondering about the pros and cons of using Osmacote
on my Venus flytraps and Sarracenia. Would you recommend it's use.
Advice would be really appreciated. Thank you

Hi Steve,

Osmocote can be very effective in helping Sarracenia seedlings to mature faster.  Here's an article discussing it at length:

I do not recommend Osmocote with Venus Flytraps.  They tend to be very sensitive to fertilizer, and you would most likely kill them.  A very dilute foliar fertilizer can be used on seedlings, but you have to be very careful.  We've always found in the nursery that when customers write us with soil issues, and that any kind of plant food or enriched soil may have been used, Flytraps are always the first to die from it.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!