Carnivorous Plants/Reply

I'm the one with the problem with the King Henry. Sorry I forgot to attach the photos. I do not keep them in water trays. The pots never dry out and if they do it is for, at most, thirty minutes. I live in Naples, Florida and get tempatures in the 80's during the day and around 80 to 70 at night. I repotted the plants when they were received. I use distilled water. I thought I should add that I purchased each plant at different times. I got both from you though. I got the King Henry on 6th of this month. I got the Cupped Trap last month. Please let me know what to do when you can.

Yes, this is the sort of information that helps me.  Based on the information and photos, it seems that your plants are experiencing transplant shock.  When plants are in their active growing phase, you will need to be very careful not to disrupt their root system too much.  I don't know how extensive the damage is.  It would have been nice if you included a close up of the King Henry rather than the cupped flytrap since that is the plant you were writing about.

All I can say is to give your plant more time to recover.  The issue you had about the cupped flytrap last month may have also been related to transplanting rather than heat exposure.  Look for new growth coming up in the center.  There is still a lot of green, so I expect your plant to make it, though you will have to be patient.

(Always make sure to share all information about how you are caring for your plants.  Jeff and I can only assist you to the extent you provide relevant information.  Had I known last month that you transplanted your cupped flytrap, I would have warned you about the risk of transplanting during the growing season.  This information may have prevented this from happening to your King Henry.)

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!