Carnivorous Plants/Repotting

Drosera scorpiodes
Drosera scorpiodes  

Butterwort & Flytrap
Butterwort & Flytrap  
How do I repot this rangy scorpiodes. Do I plant it up to the 'spoons'?  Also just recently got these butterworts and Venus flytrap from you in May.  Can I repot them now. If not how long should I wait.

Hi Anthea,

When Drosera scorpiodes gets to this point in it's growth, it's best just to collect some gemmae in the fall, sow them and start over.  Pygmy sundews don't transplant particularly well, and they are often reaching the end of their life when they get long and lanky like this.  You can try to repot the whole thing in a larger pot putting the stem deeper.  Just leave the whole root/soil ball intact.  Let us know how it does.  We just haven't had much luck when they get to this stage of their life.

You can repot the other plants.  Just leave the soil intact around the roots of the flytrap and be gentle with the butterwort.  The butterwort needs our course soil mix, or you can mix your own.  It's 1 part peat moss, 2 parts perlite, 1 part clean sand.  The flytrap could be in this mix too, but we usually use the 50/50 standard mix for them.  Also, the butterwort would benefit from having some dolomite lime added to the soil.  Use 1 tablespoon per cup of soil.  Don't do this for the Venus Flytrap!  Also, unless you really want to see a flytrap flower, cut it off.  Cup-trap flytraps are slow growing anyway, and the flower saps quite a bit of energy.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!