Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia flava

QUESTION: My sarracenia was growing just fine sending out three leaves this spring but its been about a month and a half and there is no signs of new growth. Is this normal behavior ?

ANSWER: Yes, this sometimes happens, especially if there is a sudden increase in temperature.  Without knowing any details about your growing condition (lighting, watering, soil, your location, if your plants were recently divided or grown from seed, etc.), I can't offer any recommendations other than waiting for new growth.  Make sure to follow our recommendations located on our main website:

If you need further assistance, write back as a follow-up and include the requested information outlined on the submission page.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

QUESTION: Well I live in west Texas boarder with New Mexico and the temperature has gone up this last week was quite nice but now it's up to 90 degrees. I keep my plants outside and they get about eight hours of sun, I use distilled water and equal parts of peat and perlite I bought my plants from you guys last year and they were not recently divided

Great!  This new information helps me better.  Given your location, your plants likely came up a lot earlier than normal, such as in their natural habitat.  With the rising temperatures, they think they are in mid-summer when they naturally slow down and undergo a short summer rest.  They do this to preserve moisture when the soil goes dry.  

The most you can do is wait.  Since your weather will only get warmer, it may be awhile before they produce new growth again.  Keeping the soil very wet may help, but this might be something you have to accept when growing this species in a desert climate.  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!