Carnivorous Plants/transplant shock

I just repotted my vft and purple pitcher plant and moved them from inside to outside.  They were in sphagnum peat moss that was a bit slimy.  I rinsed them really well after removing every bit I could of the old medium and put them in your soil mix.  What if any signs of shock should I look for?  The fly trap seems OK but the three new leaves that came in on the pitcher plant while it was still in the house are starting to feel dry and brittle.

The symptoms you described could be the result of transplant shock, but there are other factors that can contribute to those same symptoms.  I also don't know what your conditions were like inside your home and what it is outside your home.  If the transition was severe, it would be an acclimation issue rather than transplant shock.  (Transplant shock is really excessive root disturbance.)

Whether it's acclimation or transplant shock, both require time for the plant to recover.  Based solely on the information you provided, the most I can recommend is to give your plant time and grow your plants as recommended in our care guides (  You'll need to sacrifice the dry brittle leaves and wait for new growth.  With a purple pitcher (Sarracenia purpurea), it may be 1-2 months before you see a new leaf.

Good growing!
Jacob Farin  

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!