Carnivorous Plants/Dana's delights

Last year I had big pitchers and this year their are only a few small pitchers and many "leaves". Never had this problem before. Any ideas?

Hi Troy,

Thank-you for sending the pictures.  It always helps.  

You have a couple different things going on here.  The first is that Daina's Delight never looks good in the early summer.  It's the Leucophylla parentage.  Our plants never have the big real pretty leaves until late summer.  

The other issue is sun exposure.  Your plants are very pale green.  They should be dark maroon.  Be sure they are getting at least 6 hours of direct sun.(Ours in the nursery get 10 hours on a sunny day.)  The rule of thumb I always use is that you should be able to grow a tomato plant in the place you have Sarracenia.  If you couldn't grow a tomato plant in that spot, then it's not bright enough for Sarracenia either.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!