Carnivorous Plants/Early seed pods

Question
Pollinated ?
Pollinated ?  

not pollinated ?
not pollinated ?  
Hi Jacob and Jeff

I hope your spring and now summer are going well.

I didn't pollinate my Sarracenia flowers this year and so have left them to be pollinated or not as determined by nature. I was wondering if it is possible to tell if a flower has been pollinated this early or do I need to wait a while longer ? Most have lost their petals and some of the pods seem swollen , but that could just be my imagination. I have attached two pictures, one that I think is pollinated and one not.

I would hate to cut a flower that will produce seed, but on the other hand if it isn't going to produce seed, I would like to cut the flowers off.

Thanks
Nicole

Still 90 mile north of NYC

Answer
This is where size matters.  The pod will be significantly larger than normal.  It helps to also have a bunch of flowers to compare.  That's how I usually determine if a flower is safe to cut off.  The second photo isn't pollinated, so you can cut that one off.  The first flower is most likely pollinated.  It should grow slightly more in the next few weeks.  Compare it with other flowers.  The pods are usually significantly larger and well formed with successful pollination.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest