Carnivorous Plants/Early seed pods

Pollinated ?
Pollinated ?  

not pollinated ?
not pollinated ?  
Hi Jacob and Jeff

I hope your spring and now summer are going well.

I didn't pollinate my Sarracenia flowers this year and so have left them to be pollinated or not as determined by nature. I was wondering if it is possible to tell if a flower has been pollinated this early or do I need to wait a while longer ? Most have lost their petals and some of the pods seem swollen , but that could just be my imagination. I have attached two pictures, one that I think is pollinated and one not.

I would hate to cut a flower that will produce seed, but on the other hand if it isn't going to produce seed, I would like to cut the flowers off.

Still 90 mile north of NYC

This is where size matters.  The pod will be significantly larger than normal.  It helps to also have a bunch of flowers to compare.  That's how I usually determine if a flower is safe to cut off.  The second photo isn't pollinated, so you can cut that one off.  The first flower is most likely pollinated.  It should grow slightly more in the next few weeks.  Compare it with other flowers.  The pods are usually significantly larger and well formed with successful pollination.  

Good growing!
Jacob Farin

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!