Carnivorous Plants/Not enough light (I think)

QUESTION: So I have two nepenthes. One is a Miranda and one is a Lady Pauline x spathulata. Ever since I got them, they haven't produced any pitchers. I think this is because I have too little light. My house gets about four hours of direct sunlight and the rest of the day is not-so-bright filtered sunlight. Is this the cause?
Things that I have to write because the instructions says so:
Water: distilled
The soil: ?
What color the leaves are: green
How long I've had them: Miranda- about 2 months Lady Pauline x spathulata- about half a year
Where I live: The Bay Area
Fertilizer: I give them coffee one a month

ANSWER: Hi Eric,

I could use a bit more information in order to help you out.  What direction does the window face that you have the plants in?  With the four hours of sun, are the plants right up in the window with sun shining on them?  Also, do you mist your plants?  How wet/dry to you keep your plants?  If you could send a picture of the area the plans are sitting in that would help me out too.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: They face a south western window. I put them about 2 feet from the windowsill(I put them on a desk). I don't mist my plants. I keep them moist, but not dry.(The top of the soil is wet as a sponge that has been squeezed a lot. Yes the sunshine is directly on the plants.

Hi Eric,

Here's a couple things to try.  Move the plants closer to the glass.  Indoors light intensity drops off dramatically as you move away from the window.  Most of my Nepenthes I 've had in windows I've had within 3-4 inches of the glass.  Also, if live in a newer house/apartment, or the windows are newer, you may have UV blocking glass.  Nepenthes need a certain amount of UVB to make pitchers.  (We found this out the hard way with our greenhouse.)  Your N. x miranda can be a good guide.  It's leaves should be slightly red if it's getting enough sun.

Try adding a conventional orchid fertilizer for your fertilization.  The standard amount is 1/4 tsp. per gallon of water.  Apply it as a foliar spray once every two weeks.  I know that on all the forums coffee is talked about as a miracle cure for Nepenthes, but we've tried it a couple different times, and just haven't seen much in the way of results.  It could be that it's effective under certain conditions, but not others.

Let us know if this works.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!