Carnivorous Plants/Mealybugs

Help I have mealybugs on my  drosera muitfida !!!

Hi guys, long time shopper and pod cast watcher. (I even won a collection of Venus fly traps about 4years ago) But now I have a big problem. I companion plant my carnivorous plants with orchids and someone gave me an orchid that had mealybugs hiding on it somewhere. Now I have found them spreading to my drosera. I spray the orchids with a high stream of water at the sink to try to control them. Can I do that with my drosera? I use distilled water when I water my carnivorous plants, so I am afraid to use good old N.J. water to spray them down. I have also read that you can dab the mealybugs with alcohol. But I have not tried this on my orchids yet and really not sure about trying the alcohol on my carnivorous plants. Hoping you will be able to help me control the mealybugs before they get out of hand. Thanks and have a great day.

Hi Sally,

Mealy bugs are related to scale, and can be a difficult nut to crack.  First, make sure you are treating or removing your other plants so they will not re-infect your cp.

You'll want to do a transplant of your sundew since Mealy bugs will lay eggs in the soil.  You can remove the larger insects with the alcohol swabs, but this only gets the adult insects.  Like scale, they have a crawler stage that you don't see as readily, so, I recommend using a systemic insecticide.  One with imidacloprid, such as Bayer Rose and Flower is a good first one to try.  Spray the crown of the plant and the leaf petioles, but avoid the sticky portions of the leaves.  We demo this in our insecticide podcast:  Contact insecticides are not very effective such as pyrethrins are not very effective against Mealy bug since they have that powdery coating that minimizes contact with their body.  Be sure to follow label directions, and let us know how it goes.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!