Carnivorous Plants/Pitcher Plant Seedling

I got one of those pitcher plant growing kits that sort of resemble the shape of an Easter egg with the top half being clear to act as a terrarium last summer.  It took about 3 months to sprout and after about 2 more months it started to produce pitchers.  It has 16 pitchers on it with the tallest being 2 inches.  I am not sure what kind of pitcher plant it is. I live in the Florida panhandle, so I have kept it on my window sill since I got it because it is so small and Florida weather changes so fast that I did not want a Thunderstorm to pop up and carry the whole plant off to who-knows-where.  I have pitcher plants outside so I know this is not an inside plant for my region, but when will it be large enough to place outside by itself?  And when should I start to see more growth since it has stayed at this size for the last 6 months.

Thank you,

Hi Kolton,

By the plants third season they will begin to look more like what they are going to be.  It's usually year 4 or 5 to see the first flower, and maturity.  You can speed up the process by about a year using this technique:

Once you are on year 3 they should be large enough to pot up and put outside.  Using a top dressing on your pots such as long-fiber sphagnum or coconut chips can help with the splash erosion from heavy rain.  Keeping the water trays shallow helps too.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!