Carnivorous Plants/Plant problem

New heliamphora growth
New heliamphora growth  
My heliamphora , when I got it, started to turn brown and the pitchers died. Though a few weeks ago little pitchers started to reappear, I do not know if it is still healthy or not. I know they are a very slow grower. I have them at about 80 percent humidity in my greenhouse with my nepenthes and ably give them distiller water. They get bright/ indirect sunlight for about 14-16 hours a day. I live in Salem, Oregon.

Hi Jarred,

Your picture was a bit hard to make out, but I can see the new growth.  You plant will probably be fine, and yes, they are very slow growing, especially when they are young.

Here's some things that may help.  You said that the plant is in a greenhouse with Nepenthes.  Make sure the plant is in an area of the greenhouse that can cool down at night.  Since you're in Salem, it should experience about the same temperatures as outside at night. Keep your plant moist, but don't allow it to sit in water for long periods.  Heliamphora tend to be subject to root-rot easily.  Top-water it often.  

Also, spritz the leaves about once every two weeks with a 1/4 strength orchid fertilizer.  For most standard powder fertilizers this would be 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.  You can even do once a week in summer, but back off in winter.  As long as your top-watering the plant you won't have a problem with fertilizer accumulation in the soil.

Let us know how it goes.  Heliamphora can be fussy.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!