Carnivorous Plants/plant water

I have been using a very old dehumidifier in the summer months to water all types of insectivorous plants, I have been doing this for five years. My question is if I purchase a brand new dehumidifier will I be able to use the water from my new dehumidifier  with no harm to all of my insectivorous plants ??

Thank you, Ken

Hi Kenneth,

It should be just fine.  Dehumidifiers produce essentially distilled water.  Depending on the unit's construction, it may have trace amounts of copper in the water from the condenser cooling, but it wouldn't be much.  If you're worried about it, you could pass the water through a simple carbon filter such as Brita or Pur, or even ZeroWater, to remove the last trace metals.

What you could do is water some cheap sundews with it first to see if you see any problems.  They tend to be sensitive to water issues.  If they're fine, then the other plants are going to be fine.  I really don't think, however, that there would be enough to cause any problems, or you would have lots of corrosion occurring in the unit.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!