Carnivorous Plants/Sundew dying off in June

Photo 3
Photo 3  

Photo 2
Photo 2  
My drosera intermedia x filiformis is dying off now--- late June. Seems early!!
I've had it from Sarr NW for a few years now.
Just repotted this year with standard mix- pitchers and flytraps doing well in the 50/50 peat/perlite mix
Mineral free water in tray (aluminum)
More than 6 hrs sun per day. San Jose, CA- usually mid 80s. Outside in winter and hibernates
About 7 plants in the pot that all came out nicely with new growth in spring. First one whole plant went brown, now others are starting at tip of leaf to die off.
Leaves have dew and have caught a couple flys
What could be happening?

Hi Doug,

Thanks for sending the photos.  That always helps.

You may have a couple things happening here.  First, it's not unusual for D. x hybrida to go dormant early.  Ours usually start doing it in late August, and your growing season is much longer than ours, so if spring was fairly warm for you, it may just be time by the plant's internal clock.  Look at the crown of the plants.  If you see a mass forming, this is the winter resting bud (hibernacula), and that is what's happening.

The other possibility is the way the plant was transplanted.  I see that the plants are sitting on a crown of moss sitting way up high.  When you transplant these, you want to do it in the winter when the plants are fully dormant.  Totally take that old moss away.  They are not the least bit delicate when they are dormant.  Transplant the resting buds in new media with the crowns of the hibernacula just at the soil surface.  They should not be totally buried, but not all the way out of the media either.  You can also separate them when dormant to get new plants too.

What might be happening with them sitting way up on this mound is they are just a bit too dry.  Try to keep the pot a little deeper in the water until they are fully dormant.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!