Carnivorous Plants/venus flytrap propogation

I am a novice to carnivorous plant growing.  I purchased venus flytrap seeds online and, at present, 8 of 40 have germinated in the peat and perlite grow cups.  I keep them under a growlight for 13 or so hours per day.  I also have a heating pad (for plants) under the pots.  The eight which have germinated do not seem to be getting much bigger.  Is there something I should be doing to promote more growth, or are they just really slow.  I also use only distilled water to feed them and do not fertilize.  Thank you.

Hi Barbara,

Consider yourself in a very exclusive club.  You actually got seeds to germinate from one of those total rip-off seed kits!  The problem with those is that Venus flytraps have only a roughly 90 day viability on their seeds.  You never know how old they are when you get one of those kits.

With your seeds that did germinate, they're growing about the speed they normally do.  Venus flytraps take about 3-5 years to reach maturity from seed.  It's very similar to other North American perennial wildflowers such as Lilies or native Orchids.  Here's some information.  Here's a link to a good article on growing them from seed:  and here's our care guide:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!