Carnivorous Plants/Cephalotus

Hello guys,

I have cephalotus at my home I lieve in Puerto Rico . Mynquiestion is : cephalotus need to go dormancy to hibernate ? But how ? Should I put my ceph into the fridge for 3 motnh like I donwith my fly trapa or cephalotus can lieve all year round in a terrarium ?

Hi Gabriel,

Cephalotus dormancy is triggered by photoperiod.  They don't need the kind of cold dormancy that North American cp do.  I've grown them in a large terrarium under lights with no induced dormancy for years.  They just don't bloom if the daylight cycle doesn't change.

If you want to mess around with the photoperiod, look up the day length for Perth, Australia in summer and winter.  Change the light cycle for your plant to match that and see what happens.

I don't recommend any kind of refrigerator dormancy.  That is very risky for Cephalotus.  It's hard enough to successfully do it with Venus Flytraps, and they are not as delicate.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!