Carnivorous Plants/Drosera

I am ordering some seeds for Drosera binate dichonata "Triffida", which are supposed to be the only fork-leaf sundews that act like weeds and are very prolific, like a capensis, and I've read that all binata's but multifida extrema are hardy down to 15 degrees F, but do not need a stratification period, so would it be good to start them outdoors, and have them inside for the winter because it's kind of late, so that they have a few extra months of sun to build up supplies?

I'm getting them from California Carnivores.

Hi John,

I looked at their description of this plant, and it sounds like the New Zealand T-Form.  They are as prolific in collections as D. filiformis and D. intermedia.  We have them pop up from time to time from seed that comes in on plants we purchase.

Since you're in Eastern Washington, it is best to start them indoors.  They will probably grow to a certain point, then go dormant.  You can move them outside in the spring.  It would be beneficial to start some outside next spring too, to see if they can adapt to your climate.

He says hardy down to 15 degrees, but that is probably in a large container or bog garden.  In smaller pots make the assumption that they are only hardy to about 20 for short periods.  I've had the true D. binata dichotoma (Giant Staghorn Sundew) in pots outside here in Western Oregon, and they will tolerate down to low 20's for short times, but they will not make it in one of our Arctic spells where the temperature is in the teens.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!