Carnivorous Plants/My outdoor bog garden

I've several year's worth of experience in growing carnivores and I'm trying to grow by seed in an outdoor bog garden. My fiance insists that the water expelled by our air conditioning unit is distilled and perfect for my seeds. Nothing's growing. I'm wondering if his information is inaccurate and I need to start over?

Hi Teresa,

Water collected from an air conditioning unit is essentially distilled water.  Steam distillation is almost the same process.  The only hazard that might be there for cp is some copper ion from the cooling tubes.  I seriously doubt it would be enough, however, to inhibit seed germination.  If it were, the AC cooling tubes would be heavily corroded.

Let's look at some other possibilities.  Tell me more about your bog garden.  What's the soil media?  How did you build it?  What are your seed sources, and when did you sow them?  What kind of seeds did you sow?  Does the garden flood in winter?

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!