Carnivorous Plants/Sarracenia from seed

Hello! I recently acquired some sarracenia seeds(Sarracenia alata Pubescent Black, Sarracenia rubra gulfensis)and have done much research on stratification and growing. I plan to soak the seeds overnight in distilled water with a drop of dish liqiud, as proposed by the ICPS for older seeds,(which these are more than likely.)I would then like to stratify them in pots, in the refridgerator. My question is, do they need to remain dark during this stratification period? I was going to cover the pots with plastic wrap and rubberband them closed, but then this dilema occurred to me! If so, I could always add a layer of foil.Two other questions I had that the answers I found did not seem clear...After statification, and while under lights, should the pots be in a tray of water(plastic wrap still on top for humidity), and what would be the optimum distance from the lights (4 x t5 veg)? This is my first experiment with seeds to my relatively new hobby(obsession!)Thank you for your consideration to my questions.

Hi Terri,

The seeds don't have to be dark during stratification, but it's fine if they are.  They just need at least a month of cold, wet conditions.  We do highly recommend spraying with a sulfur based fungicide first to prevent mold.

After stratification, the pots do need to be in some water to keep the media wet, but I don't recommend the covering.  Instead just make sure the seeds are barely covered with a little peat, or a very small piece of sphagnum moss.  Apply another misting of fungicide too.  Indoors mold spore counts are always high, so this is an important preventative.

Since you're using T-5 lights, keep them about 1 foot away from the lights.

One other quick point of clarification.  John Brittnacher of ICPS that wrote the piece on Sarracenia seed germination said to use a touch, not a drop, of dish soap to help break down the waxy seed coat.  A full drop unless you're using lots of water could be too much and cause problems.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!