Carnivorous Plants/stunted growth/ potential pest damage

stunted growth
stunted growth  

more stunted growth
more stunted growth  
Hi there I have six nepenthe's pitcher plants which were all growing very well indoors until summer time came when I moved them out doors. They have had plenty of time to adjust to their new growing conditions which here in New England should be close to ideal as it is naturally humid here with hot but not too hot days 75-85 degrees Fahrenheit and cool nights. I water my plants regularly but not too much they get plents of sunlight as well and they are not standing in any water. What appears to be happening is that the terminal leaves are trying to open up but the can't. The terminal leaves on all but one of my plants are all coiled and twisted before they've  even opened. What could be the problem?

Hi Brad,

This is most likely damage from Thrips, a very common pest in the summer.  Thrips are very tiny, long-bodied insects that suck plant juices.  They are often very hard to see unless you use a hand-lens.  They often fly in from fields as they are a common pest on crops.

The top two choices for controlling them would be to find a product with either Spinosad or Acephate.  Thrips are immune to imidacloprid found in most of the Bayer products, so those would be of no use.  Spinosad is a biological insecticide, and should be readily available in garden centers under various brand names.  Acephate (Orthene) is harder to find.  You usually have to order it online as a powder.

Whichever product you choose, be sure to follow label directions for application.  Let me know if this takes care of the problem.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!