Carnivorous Plants/Water quality

I have an intermediate sized collection of temperate sundews, Venus flytraps, and sarracenia. They are in several large trays, so buying distilled water has become a hassle and an expensive thing after a while. I tried to be careful, since I have well water. I eventually bought a tds meter to test the ppm in my water and continued to test it and I got about 42-43 ppm. I read in your care instructions that they can have 50ppm. The only problem I have with using my own water is the mineral build-up on the soil. Would I just need to rinse it off every once in a while, or do I need to get back to buying distilled water?

Hi Jarred,

Your water is right in that gray zone.  If you could rig a way to only top-water your plants, it would be fine.  What happens when we tray water is the minerals concentrate in the soil as it draws the water up and evaporates.  If the water is passing through the soil, it won't concentrate the minerals.

An intermediate option to the distilled water, you might consider a ZeroWater filter.  Since your water isn't that hard, that type of ion exchange filter would last quite awhile.  Here's a link:  There also some moderate priced Reverse Osmosis units out there.  You would need to do a web search to see what would work for you.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!