Carnivorous Plants/Watering Dewy Pine

I have a couple of questions about watering the lovely Dewy Pine I purchased from you recently at the Open House.

According to Vol 2 if your DVD series, they don't like to be over-watered, but it isn't explicit on how dry a soil the Dewy Pine will tolerate and for how long.

Currently, I am slowly top watering until water just barely starts to come out the bottom of the pot into the tray. I wait until the tray under the pot has no sign of moisture before watering again.

Can I let the soil totally dry out and stay that way for a week or so during our hot and dry summer here in the Willamette Valley?

Also, can the plant be left outdoors during the winter, as long as the pot is not left in standing water?

Thanks for your time.

Hi Bill,

The short answer to your question is no.  You can't let them be totally dry.

Drosophyllum have no water storage mechanism such as cacti, so they send their roots down very deep in nature.  In smaller pots you just have to monitor them.  If their water tray is empty, and the sides of the pot look dry, time to water.  They will definitely start to wilt if too dry.  During the summer you can leave a small amount of water in their tray; no more than a half-inch.  In winter just water to run-off, then stop.  Generally speaking, they like damp soil, just not wet/waterlogged soil.  

Over the years so much has been written about not keeping Drosophyllum too wet, that most folks have ended up letting them get too dry.  More people have killed them from under-watering.  You just can't treat them like a sundew where they sit in water for long periods of time.  It's really much like regular houseplants.  You feel their soil, if dry to the touch, time to water.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!