Carnivorous Plants/Cottony growth on dewthreads

I just noticed this morning that some of my temperate dewthreads have a white cottony growth on the crowns of the plants. It is occurring on about half the plants right now and seems to be happening on all varieties.

My plants are growing outdoors in pools with full sun all day.

What is the growth and is it necessary to treat it? If so, what do I do?

As usual, thank you for your time.

Hi Bill,

What you're probably seeing is two things.  The first is that the center of plants like D. filiformis do have something of a hairy crown which does get more pronounced in the later summer.  Also, with the very warm temperatures we've been having, the plants are evaporating/transpirating large quantities of water.  Any minerals that are present either in the water or soil start to concentrate with so much water evaporating upward with tray watering.  The patches are little mineral deposits, and we often see it late summer.  When we start getting more rain again the situation reverses itself, but in the meantime, do more top-watering of your plants.  Having the water flush downward will reverse this.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!