Carnivorous Plants/Drosera capensis

Hi!  I ordered some seeds from California Carnivores for D. capensis.  Since you seem to have the best Q&A policy, as I have personally experienced, I decided to ask you...

I ended up getting the seed pack for D. capensis 'Narrow Leaf'.  Would a capensis do better on a sunny east window, or outside?  I live in Ellensburg, WA.  Outside would have more sun, but I'm worried about the heat.  Day temperatures in July averages 90 degrees F., and in August they are usually high eighties.  Would that be a problem?  I've seen in your video podcasts that capensis sometimes don't look so good in hot summer temps.  Would outdoors be to much?  It occasionally, almost every-other-weekly, gets 100 degrees.  Could this kill the plant, or would it just slow down until it cools, when I'd wait 'till it starts to get really cold and move it to a bright window to photosynthesize?

Hi John,

Since Drosera capensis is a cool, highland tropical grower from South Africa it would do much better indoors in your area.  Even west of the Cascades here in Oregon we usually have them in the greenhouse since they don't do well with high temperatures.  They will not tolerate freezes well either.  On the other hand, they are one of the easiest windowsill plants you can grow.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!