Carnivorous Plants/My Fly Trap

1) A King Henry fly trap

2) Once the heads fall off after one - two months, should I trim the stem or leave it be?

3) I've had the plant for going on a month. It lives outside, so it gets plenty of sun, and I water it every morning and change out the little bowl of water it sits in as well.

4) Portland, Oregon.

Hi Julia,

What you're calling a "head" is actually a leaf.  Keep in mind that Venus Flytraps are plants, and not like animals in any way.  The trap is a structure at the end of the leaf.

As leaves age they eventually begin to brown and die, just like they do on all plants.  When a leaf/trap starts to brown, just clip it off at the base.  King Henry Flytraps tend to be floppy, so that is very normal.  

Your care of your plant sounds very good.  Our general rule with sun for Venus Flytraps is wherever you have your flytrap, you should be able to grow a tomato plant in that spot.  If it's bright enough for a tomato, it's sunny enough for carnivorous plants.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!