Carnivorous Plants/GE daylight bulbs

QUESTION: Hey guys, in your experience with the two tube shop light set up I'm wondering if you'll know the answer to this.  A two pack of GE daylight bulbs 40 watts says it has a 2900 lumens rating.  Does that mean 2900 per bulb or 2900 with both?

ANSWER: Hi Jason,

It's 2,900 lumens per bulb.  Most T-12 40 watt tubes tend to be around that 3,000 lumen rating.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

QUESTION: Thank you Jeff. I ask this because of my Heliamphora.  I was looking a hydroponic T5 set up that said 4000 lumens.  My issue is while the leaves form very nicely and have good color in the nectar spoons the top edges of the leaves will start to brown after a month or so. I would think each leaf would last longer. I have reflective material around the tank. The temps are mid 80's in the day and 70 at night.  Humidity is 50 ish day and  upper 60 ' s at night.  The lights are 8 inches from the top of the plants  and the tank breathes well. I was thinking of getting a light source to come in from the side too, thinking having more light from side and top would benefit.  Finally the tank sits in a north window. No direct sun.
Thanks for your thoughts.

Hi Jason,

That would work, but your short pitcher life is probably tied more to temperatures.  In nature Heliamphora would be near 80 in the day, but drop down to 50's at night.  It's probably just a bit warm for them.  I'm guessing this situation turns around some for you in winter.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!