Carnivorous Plants/Hole on king henry flytrap

Hi again sarracenia northwest. My name is Alan.  A few weeks or a month ago I asked for your help on a problem that I found with my venus flytraps. I sent you a photo of a king henry flytrap that had three holes on them and I also took a photo of the worm like critter that was responsible. After careful research i found that it's most likely fungus gnat larvae. So far they are not posing any real problem other the traps nectar getting eating and affecting a very few new growth that looks normal but function odd. I will add photos tomorrow. I would like to know what product you use to control and if possible prevent them. They are really annoying to me and venus flytraps due to them chewing the traps. My pitcher plants and sundews and anything other than flytraps show none of these issues. Just flytraps. Can you help me with this problem? Thank you

Hi Alan,

Here's a link back to the original question:  There I made recommendations on products you could use to control pests.  One product I would add that could be very effective in your situation is a product containing Spinosad.  Many garden centers have have products with this, and it is a biological insecticide that is very effective against sucking/chewing insects.  Be sure to watch our podcast on safe insecticides:

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!