Carnivorous Plants/Identity of pitcher plant

Pitcher plant
Pitcher plant  

Single pitcher
Single pitcher  
I just bought my first pitcher plant and the people at the greenhouse didn't impress me with their knowledge.  I would like to know what the requirements are for this plant.  I live in Western West Virginia and hope to find out all I can in order to make the plant thrive.  It is planted in I think Peat Moss, soggy even after a day outside.  I think I probably should replant it but need to know what medium to use.  Does it need lots of direct light?  The greenhouse had it hanging in filtered light.  Thank you, Gary

Hi Gary,

Here's the best place to start:

After reading the information, feel free to come back here to Allexperts if you have additional or specific questions.

As far as identity of your plant, this is a tropical pitcher plant, a Nepenthes hybrid of some kind.  It's super difficult to know the exact hybrid pedigree since so many of them look alike.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!