Carnivorous Plants/Leaves only on nepenthe

Could you tell me what the problem with this nepenthes?  It seems to only have developed leaves and it looks like it is dying.  I live in Eastern Washington and it does get very hot here.  I have had these plants for over 8 years.  What should I do to save these plants?

Hi Joanne,

These are not Nepenthes pitcher plants, they are Sarracenia.  Go to this link:  Read the information on care of Sarracenia pitcher plants.  Compare that to your current care, and make the needed corrections.  Most likely you will need to transplant to remove the dead material, and get the plant into the correct planting media.  Since most water in Eastern Washington is very hard, you'll need to use either rainwater or distilled water to water them with.  

After you've had a chance to read the article, feel free to come back here to Allexperts if you have additional questions.  Be sure to include all the information requested on the question submission page.

Good Growing!

Jeff Dallas
Sarracenia Northwest

Carnivorous Plants

Sarracenia Northwest

If your carnivorous plant is showing poor growth, discoloration, abnormal leaves or possible infestation, the expert growers at Sarracenia Northwest can help! They have a great depth of experience dealing with diseases, pathogens, and abnormal growth in carnivorous plants.

Before submitting your question, please read their care guides on their main website. Many issues can be addressed by simply adjusting your growing conditions as recommended in the care guides. Click here to read the care guides.

Over 8,800 questions answered since 2005!

Jeff and Jacob are owners and growers of Sarracenia Northwest. They've been in business since 1995. Watch their professionally produced DVDs, Grow Carnivorous Plants. It is a three-volume set that covers all aspects of carnivorous plant care. They literally show you how to be a successful grower!

No terrariums. No myths. No nonsense.
Just the straight facts from guys who grow and propagate
thousands of carnivorous plants each year.

Our focus is to help help growers diagnose a specific plant problem and offer solutions. For example:
  • Why is my sundew not producing dew?
  • Is now a good time to divide my Sarracenia?
  • Why are the traps turning black?
  • What's a good substitute for perlite?
  • Why didn't my seeds germinate?
  • How do you deal with pests?
  • Can you identify this carnivorous plant for me?
We no longer answer general, how-to questions that are already posted on our website or demonstrated in our DVDs. For general plant care, please read our care guides:

For business questions:

Youtube Facebook
Follow us on Youtube and Facebook!